The University of Hong Kong is an English-speaking university that was founded in 1911. It has gained a reputation as a world-class comprehensive research university with an excellent research record and facilities. The University has over 2,000 teaching and research staff who were recruited globally. We encourage students of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds who wish to pursue further studies to join our postgraduate programmes.
The University provides excellent postgraduate training. We are actively seeking high-calibre candidates for full-time and part-time Research Degrees (MPhil and PhD), Taught Master and Doctoral Degrees, and Diploma and Certificate Programmes under the Faculties of Architecture, Arts, Business and Economics, Dentistry, Education, Engineering, Law, Medicine, Science and Social Sciences. There are many scholarship opportunities available. Qualified full-time MPhil and PhD candidates may also be awarded postgraduate scholarships. Full-time PhD candidates with an excellent academic record may also be awarded University Postgraduate Fellowships. Financial support is available for our research postgraduate students to attend international conferences or exchange programmes. [More about postgraduate programmes]
Teaching & Learning
The University of Hong Kong, as a pre-eminent international university in Asia, seeks to sustain and enhance its excellence as an institution of higher learning through outstanding teaching and world-class research so as to produce well-rounded graduates with the lifelong ability to provide leadership within the societies they serve.
Research & Development
The University's Mission on RPg Education is:
- To provide first class research postgraduate education and learning that meets the highest international standard.
The University of Hong Kong will endeavour:
- to advance the bounds of scholarship through engagement in innovative, high-impact and leading-edge research within and across disciplines;
- to act in partnership with the community in research that advances the cultural, social and economic welfare of the society;
- to provide leadership in research and research collaboration among researchers in Hong Kong, China and Asia, and act as a gateway to the rest of the world; and
- to become the leading centre of academic excellence in research postgraduate education in the region, and to fully develop individual students' creativity and innovative abilities.
The University's research direction is guided by the following principles:
- excellence as measured by international standards;
- relevance to the community (HK and the mainland) including the broader academic community;
- planning in advanced research; and
- the provision of an intellectually stimulating environment that allows postgraduate students to become academic and/or community leaders.
Facilities & Resources
The University receives many guests throughout the year, including visiting scholars, delegations for research and academic collaboration, and other visitors. Accommodation for guests and non-local postgraduates is available at Robert Black College, St. John's College, Graduate House and Pokfield Road Residences.
The University provides tremendous library resources that facilitate research and studies. Our libraries include: Main Library, Fung Ping Shan Library, Music Library, Dental Library, Yu Chun Keung Medical Library, Education Library, Lui Che Woo Law Library, AV & Reserve Collection and Special Collections.
The University's Institute of Human Performance operates two University sports centres that include the following facilities: the Flora Ho/Lindsay Ride Sports Centres, Stanley Smith Swimming Pool, Stanley Ho Sport Centre and Henry Fok Swimming Pool. [More about facilities & resources]
Graduate School (for MPhil and PhD programmes)
(852) 2857 3470
(852) 2857 3543
Room P403, Graduate House
The University of Hong Kong
Pokfulam, Hong Kong